Sunday, June 8, 2014

For Brighter Smiles

There is nothing like being with friends to make me feel like a million bucks.  Friday night it was at a formal, lavish affair to celebrate our town's anniversary and honor community members who make it a great place to live.  It was a little daunting to walk by myself into this throng of people dressed to the nines, laughing, talking and drinking.  Making my way through the crowd I saw my friends across the room and social anxiety faded to relief!  These are the friends I have made since moving to town twenty years ago.  (Where has the time gone!?)  Some of them I have known for more than a decade and others met more recently but all are cherished.  One who knows my kids well and whom we affectionately called "Crossing Guard Lady" for years.  We now paint sets together for our community theater show and I so appreciate her common sense and no nonsense advice.  Another who simply cracks me up with her wit and uncommon humor.  She's that person who makes you feel like you're in 4th grade again.  And several more friends each of whom evoke such wonderful memories and have a special spot in my heart.  It makes me feel so blessed.  On Saturday, it was by contrast a very informal affair - girls night out at a friend's home.  Just pull up a chair and grab a glass of wine or a beer.  We know each other so well that when we see each other it's almost as if the conversation picks up where it left off.  These are the women I have known since I was a teen and who know where the bodies are buried!  (What happens in the Poconos stays in the Poconos.)  We've gotten in trouble together, had a blast together, and celebrated the specials times in each other's lives together.  We joke and laugh so hard it's hard to breathe.  We talk about our lives, jobs, families, various gynecological and medical procedures, and everything else we can think of to talk about.  We can say anything to each other and we do.  I find that so amazing.  I can't imagine my life without these people in it.  So driving home today, I was smiling.  I was ear to ear grinning just thinking about this weekend, the many past weekends and days, and more I hope to come.  Nothing makes my smile brighter than my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions or comments?